TN Visa (NAFTA Free Trade Professional Work Permit)

For more information go to Enquiry Form


The TN-1 visa category, “Professionals Under the North American Free Trade Agreement”, is available only to citizens of Mexico and Canada.

Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) a citizen of a NAFTA country may work in a professional occupation in another NAFTA country provided that the following requirements are met:

  • the profession is on the “NAFTA list”;
  • the professional possesses the specific criteria for that profession,
  • the prospective position requires someone in that professional capacity, and
  • the professional is going to work for a US employer.

The spouse and unmarried, minor children of the TN-1 visa professional are entitled to derivative status, which allows them to live and study in the United States, but they are unable to accept employment in the United States. Professionals entering under TN-1 visa classification are considered non-immigrants.

Ortega-Medina & Associates can assist you with all your immigration needs, including preparing all NAFTA, TN-1 visa applications, assembling all the documentation you will need to successfully obtain your TN-1 visa, and trouble-shoot any problems you may encounter at the United States port-of-entry.